Saturday, April 16, 2011

Snow... in Las Cruces?!

About a week before my birthday, newscasters started throwing around words like "record-breaking" and "snow". But, the weather itself was mild. And why shouldn't it be? Las Cruces is in an area known for mild winters and scorching hot summers. But then the storm rolled in. If I remember correctly, 13 El Paso Electric generators shut down because of the cold, causing school cancellations, rolling outages, and pleas to conserve energy. 

We did our part by going out of town. We went up to Albuquerque for Ryan's last drill with the United States Army Reserves. But before we skipped town, we had a little fun. And when I say little, I really mean little. It was less than 10 degrees and the girls begged to go out and play in it when they woke up and saw the blanket of snow. I tried to hold them off til the afternoon, thinking it might rise to the double digits. No such luck. Apparently it was warmer in Anchorage, Alaska than it was in Supposed-To-Be-Sunny, New Mexico. 

So, we bundled up and I played with the girls for about five minutes. Monica lasted another five minutes, while Leah managed almost forty five minutes. Cold? What cold? Fuhgeddaboutit. 




Maybe it's just me, but I love the snot faucet.
Taste-testing. 


 I think this picture says it all. 
After ten minutes of playing, this was as close to a smile as Monica could muster.

MEANWHILE:
Jillian slept snug as a bug in a rug in her new swing.

No comments: