Monday, September 21, 2009

More Chalk Fun

About a week ago, Monica asked if she could watch TV. It was about the 15th time she asked that day and I, in all my motherly frustration, sent her outside to play instead. She came back in sulking that she was bored, so I knew it was time to get off my rear and play with her. Leah was napping, so we pulled out a few of her coloring books and I asked her which ones she liked. So she picked out the My Little Pony first. Then I led her outside and we pulled out the chalk! I taught her how to keep her lines the same direction and smudge the chalk so that it spread into the cracks in the sidewalk and smoothed the look of the lines. Here she is next to her work. I drew the pony, and then she colored it all in.

Next, she picked out Tigger. I have to say, as an artsy fartsy mom, I am really excited to have an artsy fartsy child. I love being able to create pictures with her and watch her face light up as she recognizes what I'm drawing. And I LOVE her stamp of approval when she asks to take a picture with it.
We're also doing piano lessons. I'll have to take a picture of her playing. She is really adorable. But I want to avoid her being compared to me. I think a lot of well-meaning people ask her if she's going to be a pianist just like her mom, and while I don't think there's anything wrong with it, I don't want her to feel pressured. Or any of my children. Music will be a part of our lives. I just don't want any of them to feel it forced down their throats.

No comments: