Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Dr. Seuss Party

Emily, my sister, is really good about knowing when things happen. She knew about Dr. Seuss week last year and I completely missed it. So, I've been keeping an eye out for when she starts celebrating because she really has the best ideas. This year, I didn't miss it! Who didn't love reading Dr. Seuss in elementary school, right?

Anyways, on March 2nd, we participated in the Dr. Seuss "Read Across America" and had a Seussathon. By far, "Wacky Wednesday" was our family favorite. Ask Monica to tell you about it. I bet you she can't make it through the first few descriptions without giggling uncontrollably. Go read it and look closely at the pictures. We could not stop laughing! Monica was dying of laughter. I had to remind her to breathe, but her giggling got me going and even after Leah fell asleep we had to read it one more time. My sides have never ached more! So you probably have to go into it with low expectations and you should definitely read it with a young child just discovering the world of absurdity. It's the best.

The next day was Saturday and we had a little Dr. Seuss party. Ashlynne and Lesa were going to come up so we invited Camille Harrington up to be Monica's buddy. Then Ashlynne got sick and they couldn't come. So we invited Katie Curnutt and then she got sick after arriving to the party. This flu season has been brutal!

So in the end it was Monica, Leah, Jillian and Camille. We had a blast! We kicked it off by watching "Horton Hears a Who" and eating some snacks...


Marshmallow "Cat in the Hat" hats. 


We read "The Lorax" and then made truffula trees.

The girls painting their tree trunks.

We had green eggs and ham for dinner, courtesy of "Green Eggs and Ham", and we had the pink ink drink from "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish". The yink that likes to drink ink and the ink he likes to drink is pink. Yeah, that.

Happy girls!

Jill enjoyed it, too!


The ham didn't turn out as green as I wanted it, but it was still the best part.

The finished truffula trees.

We topped it off with Thing 1 and Thing 2 cupcakes.

It was such a fun night! I do have to say, my favorite part was listening to Monica and Camille take turns reading "Wacky Wednesday" and giggling with each other as I made dinner. I love to see children love reading. It has nothing to do with the fact that I love reading so much that I used to get my books taken away because I was holed up in my closet reading instead of sleeping or doing the chores I was supposed to be doing...or maybe it does! Because I do like to see that same love being fostered in the next generation. It's a beautiful thing!

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Looks like you all had a lot of fun!!!